Skip to main content

MONEY OVER HONOR...

"My children cannot eat glory", that is a line from Sarafina. Sarafina is a movie adapted from a play in the early 90s starring Leleti Ngema (née Khumalo), Whoopie Goldberg , Miriam Makeba and Bongeni Ngema. It was written and directed by Bongeni Ngema, I first watched it when I was about 5 years old. My mother and I loved it so much that we watched it at the Nairobi cinema 3 timesand to this day I have a copy of it at home. The movie is based on the African uprising against apartheid in South Africa and depicts the struggles of a group of school children who are arrested, tortured and some openly shot during protests. The scene where that line comes from is of a mother having an argument with her daughter who is now discontent with the life that they live. The mother , played by the late Miriam Makeba, lost her husband in Mozambique and left her to take care of their 4 children. The daughter, played by Leleti Khumalo, defends her fathers decision of fighting and sees it as a heroic gesture but her mother sees no reason to put him on a pedestal as he left his family in poverty and as she says "My children cannot eat glory".
The survival instinct is one of the most powerful driving forces in a human being, it's that little voice inside you that makes you run a little faster or fight a little harder to ensure that you endure. Some of us however have an even stronger force inside us, honor. Being held in high esteem over others or otherwise flawless in their undertakings. It's what drives most in the disciplined forces of old and is masked behind such words as patriotism , duty or serving a purpose greater than their own. It has been cultivated in people over rmillenia where fathers teach their sons that there is no greater purpose one has in life than to serve a calling such as serving your king, fighting for your village or working for your family. This has however become an outdated concept in an age where people seek wealth over service to others. I may not be able  to pin point for sure when the change happened but it may have to do with when social inequalities were clearly defined. I digress however because discussing this in a hundred or so words would not do the topic justice as the changes have occurred in the last 100 years. Let us looks at situations much closer to home. The youth of today have been sold on the need to accumulate as much wealth in the shortest time possible and by any means necessary. This has given birth to the tenderpreneurs and gold diggers of our age, no judgement to them I must add as there is nothing honorable in flawless poverty. However, What does this do to the fabric of our society? Well, it first creates distrust between the haves and have nots where the haves always think the have nots want to sabotage them. Between employers and employees where the managers have to micromanage their juniors to ensure nothing fishy is going on. These are very genuine concerns because every manager knows a situation where their Juniors have tried or taken advantage of loop holes in the system. We hear this everyday and it becomes a snow ball effect as those who get away destroy the morale of the actual hard workers in the organization. It also makes work harder as new rules are put in place to increase oversight. I can go on and on about all this but the fact still remains, the culture of get rich by any means necessary has to be fixed. 
It's always a good idea stop and look at both sides of the equation in order to get an understanding of why this happens and has continued to happen. 50 % of the country lives below the poverty line and for those people ,every single day is a struggle. Some break away from the chains of poverty and make something of themselves but the constant feeling that at any time you could just find your way back is too much to ignore thus the best way to combat it is to ensure that your as far above the line as possible. There is the right way, hard work and dedication but that does not necessary work for everyone so there is the quick way. The quick way comes in using a position of some influence to line pockets or just outright looting , a more popular one with our politicians. I don't judge these people because I ask myself, would I do things differently if I was in their shoes and since I don't know the answer I would rather not judge. 
A story from the series "Hustle" given by the main character sums it up easily. 
"My father ate, worked and slept. Towed the line, paid his taxes on time and all he wanted to do was retire at 60 and live off his pension. He dropped dead at the post office 5 days to his 60th birthday, he was paying his phone bill"
There is honor and glory in being without fault but truth be told " My children cannot eat glory"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always looking out for number 1

I just got a new job that is sales in nature , my previous job was an I.T. position which gave me a chance to compare the differences between humans and machines. A machine is supposed to be predictable ,with a particular set of inputs you get a particular set of outputs. A human is supposed to be unpredictable where one group wants to go left there is this guy who always wants to go right. However, I realized that machines can be at some point unpredictable while the humans vice versa. A human will be predictable in that every little situation you bring to him will only flow with your idea if and only if it is of some benefit to them. That brings me to the basis of this topic today, number in is you and your immediate interests and issues if importance. With that being said, I would love to burst the bubbles of certain individuals who seem to rely too much on other people. If you are an adult and probably approaching middle age, you are of three different levels of life : accomplis

She ain't going nowhere.....

Loneliness has always been a a friend of mine, way back when my thoughts were my own and very few people knew of my very existence.  Today the loneliness is back and it's back with a vengeance. "So what you upto tonight?" Asked John knocking me out of my deep thoughts. "Nothing much , got some writing to do and the words are at my finger tips and I don't want to lose them." I replied. John has always wanted the best for me, sort of like the big brother I never had. He opened up his doors to me this time when Mary threw me out for the first time. Who is Mary you ask. Where to start about Mary, well she was my first love and the first person who knew me behind the curtain I raised for most people. What did I do to get kicked out...  "STOP DAYDREAMING DUDE!!!" John screamed while shaking me. I hadn't noticed I had just wondered off. "Okay Bro,  since you are determined to stray my thoughts what do you have in mind?" I said hoping he

Why do I do what I do

One of my favorite thought provoking songs is Tracy chapman's "fast car". Those who haven't heard it should go ahead and listen to it, a line in the song states "Leave tonight or live and die this way". It's a hot Monday morning and you are at your desk at work listening to another boring customer who for one reason or the other believes they can get you to do what they want even if it's contrary to all laws or norms. You day dream a bit of where you would rather be at that point in time. Maybe you like mountain climbing and at that very moment you are in the Himalayas with a bunch of Sherpas or you are an avid swimmer crossing the English Channel. You could be anywhere right now but that doesn't seem possible right now on your desk, does it? Why doesn't it seem possible? Well I guess it could be the mortgage you have on your house that needs paying, the car loan that for some reason doesn't seem to go anywhere coz you are upgrading cars