Skip to main content

Love what you do

It's 9:00 pm on the last flight out of Jomo Kenyatta international airport to Moi international airport and I'm sipping a cold beer at 23,000 feet. The flip side is I have a cold and I have not had a good nights rest in a while. I am sleep deprived and pretty hungry so it's not all rosy up here. That however, isn't why I am writing this. I am writing this because of a totally different reason. I generally don't pay attention to the safety instructions at the beginning of the flight but this time I did. Why do you ask, because of the male flight attendant. Why would a male flight attendant make me concentrate, well it was late at night and he had probably flown back and forth a couple of times but he still entertained us. The guy got up on the P.A system and gave us an audio presentation worthy of a radio talk-show host. He introduced the captain, first officer and all the flight attendants like he was introducing his fellow band mates and it was refreshing. 
I have flown over 4,000 kilometers in the last one week and I ignored every other person on the flights I have been on. This young man who named himself Mr. B(Brian) reminded me of a mantra I repeated but forgotten about in my work. "Love what you do and you will never have to work a day in your life". I was once invited to attend a talk by an IBM executive at Strathmore and I got to rub shoulders with some of the staff over there. These guys were highly skilled programmers and tech guys working in one of the biggest and most successful tech companies in the world, yes I said it Apple. In the middle of a conversation I was having with them I brought up the question of whether they love what they do. I asked them candidly whether they loved what they do and I actually got laughed at. I could be mistaken, maybe there was some spinach in my teeth but what I got for all this is that money trumps how you enjoy your work. Richard Branson is one person who personifies  a person who loves what he does and doesn't let anything get in the way of that. Why can't we be like that, we wake up at the same time every day, to go to the same drab office. We suffer through hours of traffic and other pissed off commuters during ungodly hours and for what. You could be one of those buried under mountains of debt with various dependents and for you I say I know what you are going through and I am sorry for that. Anyways, try and find enjoyment in what you do because with that you will work better and with less stress. 
Going back to Mr. B, Refreshing is an understatement, the passengers actually clapped after the safety introduction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always looking out for number 1

I just got a new job that is sales in nature , my previous job was an I.T. position which gave me a chance to compare the differences between humans and machines. A machine is supposed to be predictable ,with a particular set of inputs you get a particular set of outputs. A human is supposed to be unpredictable where one group wants to go left there is this guy who always wants to go right. However, I realized that machines can be at some point unpredictable while the humans vice versa. A human will be predictable in that every little situation you bring to him will only flow with your idea if and only if it is of some benefit to them. That brings me to the basis of this topic today, number in is you and your immediate interests and issues if importance. With that being said, I would love to burst the bubbles of certain individuals who seem to rely too much on other people. If you are an adult and probably approaching middle age, you are of three different levels of life : accomplis

She ain't going nowhere.....

Loneliness has always been a a friend of mine, way back when my thoughts were my own and very few people knew of my very existence.  Today the loneliness is back and it's back with a vengeance. "So what you upto tonight?" Asked John knocking me out of my deep thoughts. "Nothing much , got some writing to do and the words are at my finger tips and I don't want to lose them." I replied. John has always wanted the best for me, sort of like the big brother I never had. He opened up his doors to me this time when Mary threw me out for the first time. Who is Mary you ask. Where to start about Mary, well she was my first love and the first person who knew me behind the curtain I raised for most people. What did I do to get kicked out...  "STOP DAYDREAMING DUDE!!!" John screamed while shaking me. I hadn't noticed I had just wondered off. "Okay Bro,  since you are determined to stray my thoughts what do you have in mind?" I said hoping he

Why do I do what I do

One of my favorite thought provoking songs is Tracy chapman's "fast car". Those who haven't heard it should go ahead and listen to it, a line in the song states "Leave tonight or live and die this way". It's a hot Monday morning and you are at your desk at work listening to another boring customer who for one reason or the other believes they can get you to do what they want even if it's contrary to all laws or norms. You day dream a bit of where you would rather be at that point in time. Maybe you like mountain climbing and at that very moment you are in the Himalayas with a bunch of Sherpas or you are an avid swimmer crossing the English Channel. You could be anywhere right now but that doesn't seem possible right now on your desk, does it? Why doesn't it seem possible? Well I guess it could be the mortgage you have on your house that needs paying, the car loan that for some reason doesn't seem to go anywhere coz you are upgrading cars