Skip to main content

Emotions.....what are they for?

What's wrong with not having emotions? What purpose do they serve in this world where we do horrible things to each other. A planet where wevconsciously abandon our own morals to get ahead and treading other on people's freedoms and basic human rights while we are at it.

The most successful people on the planet are the ones who have no qualms with putting their needs first and disregarding others well being. There was a study that was performed ,and I believe I may have referenced it in an earlier post, it states that there is a fine line between the most successful C.E.Os and sociopaths. Why is that you ask? A C.E.O has one goal and one goal only, making a profit for his shareholder and make himself rich as he goes along. His 30,000 employees will not or should not get in the way of this as they are a secondary concern to the primary. Case in point, it has been a slow year for a certain banking giant and he needs to show that he is not letting things run a muck. There are two options on the table right now, he either lets go of about 300 members of staff and downsize certain underperforming divisions or redirect his energies and those of his staff to more profitable undertakings. I am not a C.E.O but I do believe there is always an alternative but he chooses to downsize staff. What I do know about downsizing staff is that we end up having a general air of anxiety among the rest who end up not being as motivated to work as they did earlier.the staff have been downsized with some losing their mortgages and livelihoods and life generally becomes harder for them as they are now looking for other jobs. I don't think the C.E.O gives a second though to that because he has now accomplished his goal and for at least the short term the company's bottom line is looking healthier.
Ever wondered what the loan recoveries guy goes through on a daily basis? He has meetings with people who are unable to make their payments and some who have completely defaulted. These are grown men and women who have no money and are about to get assets repossessed auctioned and probably even kicked out of their homes. Picture someone as dignified to you as a parent or a prominent member of society pleading with you not to take their home. It's heartbreaking isn't it? Well I heard of a story once where a man came to a bank to try and renegotiate a payment plan for a load he had taken. He was over a year behind in his payments and his security had been his family home, it was do or die for him as he had nowhere else to take his family. The recoveries office who saw him had no good news for him as he was in default and the back needed to get the funds immediately, after a tense session he gave up. He got up from the seat, shock the officers hand walked down the hall, found an open window and jumped out. He jumped from what was the 12th floor and was confirmed dead on impact. The recoveries office per just went about his business after that. 
After listening to those two cases, do you believe that the people had no emotions? Well, not necessarily as some times life doesn't give you the luxury of thinking with your heart. 
How about what happens to us on a daily basis, if you could switch off your emotions and live life like a zombie would you. Well I like many other people have gone through some hurt in my life but I wouldn't switch off my emotions for anything. Think of everything you do and remove what ever little emotion you have for it and you realize that it doesn't feel as good as it did. I do mean everything, from food to sex and so on there is always something in the form of an internal reaction that amplifies the feeling. 
That is all about the pleasures, how about the pain. I am sure you she heard of people out there who question the need to have children. Why do we have them anyway, in the most basic view they are parasites. They feed off of you, cannot survive without you but we stil have them. We could use the reasoning that it is the basics of reproduction our human race would not survive without it. All that is true but remember that we take care of children for almost our entire adult lives. You want to know why we do that , it's the emotional attachment. As comes organisms we are at the stag of our evolution where our young are helpless and require our undivided attention during their development. This coupled by the fact that we are engineered to think of them as cute and as they grow we see ourselves in them makes it easier not to think of an alternative. With that in mind , we take care of our children and when we get older they take care of us as they have their own. Know one needs to tell you all that, you just innately tell know that. 
The flip side of the C.E.O argument is that as human beings we sometimes have to think of what our actions will do to others. This is where things start to get tricky, humans are generally selfish beings and they tend to think of themselves first but sometimes they are unable to fight their emotions and end up doing what is best for everyone and that is what has driven some of their greates names in our history. From the likes of Nelson Mandela to old names like Abraham Lincoln who took the hard way to save many rather than the easy way to save themselves.
Emotions are a hindrance to life but my oh my do they improve the quality .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always looking out for number 1

I just got a new job that is sales in nature , my previous job was an I.T. position which gave me a chance to compare the differences between humans and machines. A machine is supposed to be predictable ,with a particular set of inputs you get a particular set of outputs. A human is supposed to be unpredictable where one group wants to go left there is this guy who always wants to go right. However, I realized that machines can be at some point unpredictable while the humans vice versa. A human will be predictable in that every little situation you bring to him will only flow with your idea if and only if it is of some benefit to them. That brings me to the basis of this topic today, number in is you and your immediate interests and issues if importance. With that being said, I would love to burst the bubbles of certain individuals who seem to rely too much on other people. If you are an adult and probably approaching middle age, you are of three different levels of life : accomplis

She ain't going nowhere.....

Loneliness has always been a a friend of mine, way back when my thoughts were my own and very few people knew of my very existence.  Today the loneliness is back and it's back with a vengeance. "So what you upto tonight?" Asked John knocking me out of my deep thoughts. "Nothing much , got some writing to do and the words are at my finger tips and I don't want to lose them." I replied. John has always wanted the best for me, sort of like the big brother I never had. He opened up his doors to me this time when Mary threw me out for the first time. Who is Mary you ask. Where to start about Mary, well she was my first love and the first person who knew me behind the curtain I raised for most people. What did I do to get kicked out...  "STOP DAYDREAMING DUDE!!!" John screamed while shaking me. I hadn't noticed I had just wondered off. "Okay Bro,  since you are determined to stray my thoughts what do you have in mind?" I said hoping he

Why do I do what I do

One of my favorite thought provoking songs is Tracy chapman's "fast car". Those who haven't heard it should go ahead and listen to it, a line in the song states "Leave tonight or live and die this way". It's a hot Monday morning and you are at your desk at work listening to another boring customer who for one reason or the other believes they can get you to do what they want even if it's contrary to all laws or norms. You day dream a bit of where you would rather be at that point in time. Maybe you like mountain climbing and at that very moment you are in the Himalayas with a bunch of Sherpas or you are an avid swimmer crossing the English Channel. You could be anywhere right now but that doesn't seem possible right now on your desk, does it? Why doesn't it seem possible? Well I guess it could be the mortgage you have on your house that needs paying, the car loan that for some reason doesn't seem to go anywhere coz you are upgrading cars