Skip to main content

Always looking out for number 1


I just got a new job that is sales in nature , my previous job was an I.T. position which gave me a chance to compare the differences between humans and machines. A machine is supposed to be predictable ,with a particular set of inputs you get a particular set of outputs. A human is supposed to be unpredictable where one group wants to go left there is this guy who always wants to go right. However, I realized that machines can be at some point unpredictable while the humans vice versa. A human will be predictable in that every little situation you bring to him will only flow with your idea if and only if it is of some benefit to them. That brings me to the basis of this topic today, number in is you and your immediate interests and issues if importance.
With that being said, I would love to burst the bubbles of certain individuals who seem to rely too much on other people. If you are an adult and probably approaching middle age, you are of three different levels of life : accomplished ,working towards it or waiting for someone or something to change your life. If you are in the last section then this would be meant for you, for the rest of you it would be a good idea to read on just in case you placed yourself in the wrong level or you just know someone in that problem.
You are a middle aged person working a dead end or casual job ,you have a wife and a few children who you can't really afford to provide for and in your specific mindset you believe that your situation is not your own fault. Sorry to burst your bubble but it is your fault. If your feelings have been hurt by that comment then you can stop now and live in ignorance or get a back bone and read on. You as an individual only accomplish the bare minimum and in your perspective that is all that is required. It's only the moment that something out of the ordinary happens when you get snapped into a reality unknown to you, that you have made yourself vulnerable to external forces. This is in the form of a natural disaster, an expensive illness, a loss in the family or even a happy situation such as your child being called up to a great but expensive school. So now you are closer to what most people would term as destitute and unable to differentiate between your ass and your life.
I hope I have slammed you enough for you to actually stop your denial phase and actually listen to what I have to say. Your children/other responsibilities are now here and we can't do anything about that but you can try and work with what you have. As a person I believe that God does not give you what you can't handle so my suggestion to you is relook at your situation and do some basic accounting. What you don't need in life ,get rid of. What you do need in life ,find a way of acquiring more etc. Stop doing the bare minimum and understand that everybody was given 24 hours in a day, it's what we chose to do in that time that is important. Case in point, that political rally that you want to go for is what we would call an unnecessary expense to your time. The politician is paid to do that and even those who aren't have businesses running that are generating funds as they keep you in the sun for hours to sell you pipe dreams. They are looking out for number 1, why shouldn't you?

 That being said I give my parting shot and the title of this rant of mine, as one nairobian to another " ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR NUMBER 1"

Comments

  1. Whaaaat? You blog? A good read to 'wake up and smell the coffee' to. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Virginia, stay tuned for the next episode

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

She ain't going nowhere.....

Loneliness has always been a a friend of mine, way back when my thoughts were my own and very few people knew of my very existence.  Today the loneliness is back and it's back with a vengeance. "So what you upto tonight?" Asked John knocking me out of my deep thoughts. "Nothing much , got some writing to do and the words are at my finger tips and I don't want to lose them." I replied. John has always wanted the best for me, sort of like the big brother I never had. He opened up his doors to me this time when Mary threw me out for the first time. Who is Mary you ask. Where to start about Mary, well she was my first love and the first person who knew me behind the curtain I raised for most people. What did I do to get kicked out...  "STOP DAYDREAMING DUDE!!!" John screamed while shaking me. I hadn't noticed I had just wondered off. "Okay Bro,  since you are determined to stray my thoughts what do you have in mind?" I said hoping he

Why do I do what I do

One of my favorite thought provoking songs is Tracy chapman's "fast car". Those who haven't heard it should go ahead and listen to it, a line in the song states "Leave tonight or live and die this way". It's a hot Monday morning and you are at your desk at work listening to another boring customer who for one reason or the other believes they can get you to do what they want even if it's contrary to all laws or norms. You day dream a bit of where you would rather be at that point in time. Maybe you like mountain climbing and at that very moment you are in the Himalayas with a bunch of Sherpas or you are an avid swimmer crossing the English Channel. You could be anywhere right now but that doesn't seem possible right now on your desk, does it? Why doesn't it seem possible? Well I guess it could be the mortgage you have on your house that needs paying, the car loan that for some reason doesn't seem to go anywhere coz you are upgrading cars