Skip to main content

PROGRESSIVE...... I REALLY DOUBT IT

Friday night and we are hanging out at the local. All hands on deck tonight as the youthful class come out to play and make merry as we always do. I am surrounded by guys in their late 20s and early 30s plus a few people outside of this age bracket trying to fit in. The girls are ageless here with some looking like they were in a dormitory a short while ago and just got picked up by their sponsors or older boyfriends for the night, or the weekend. This is supposed to be progress, the generation that my father came from came out at night to get away from the wife and annoying kids who really didn't want him in the house. Strange isn't it, not being wanted in the house you pay for by the people who you feed. It's a fact of life that is hard to explain but still they came out at night. However, in this day and age, guys do this not to hang out not to get away from the family but because their houses are empty. I am in my late twenties but thinking back I don't think I have actually lived  with anyone in the true sense of the word. No splitting rent, putting up a chores schedule or even splitting the groceries. Strange as it may sound, it really is true. So why am I bringing this up, well as the generations roll on we term ourselves as progressive. 
Progressive, what does this word actually mean. Favoring or implementing social reform or new, liberal ideas. That does sound like a proper definition of the term, but do you know what that actually means for our generation. Well, our parents lived in the transition between arranged marriages and cohabiting. If you were lucky , you would move to a big town get a good job then cohabit with a person who you see yourself spending the rest of your life with. All this happened very early in life, with most people under the age of 24 having already met their future spouse. In that time we had the respect of the institution of marriage and family along with it. All that is all well and good because people my age had things like school fees,  a mortgage, building loan and daily upkeep costs to worry about. I'm sitting here wondering how the weekend will be like, which days will I sleep in and which I'll stay up all night. So I ask again, are we progressive or regressive? I vote regressive, since these are the days that your kids are raised by the cleaning lady and television. You have a 4 bedroom house but the only time you spend with your family is when you are begrudgingly dragged to church on Sunday.  For those without families, you drink the equivalent of a months rent on a normal weekend. Why are you still renting when you drink alcohol by the drum full every weekend? This all sounds like I am directing blame at a particular person but all I can get disappointed by is the culture. Culture is one of the hardest things you can try to change as its deep in everyone's blood. I could blame culture but cost of living has a part to play in it. In this day and age, a household can not survive on one income. The kids need a PlayStation 4, dad needs a new set of tyres for his Prado and mum uses imported weaves and make up. 
All this sounds like I am just ranting but here is a question to all guys my age. Was your dad ironing his own shirts when he was your age?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always looking out for number 1

I just got a new job that is sales in nature , my previous job was an I.T. position which gave me a chance to compare the differences between humans and machines. A machine is supposed to be predictable ,with a particular set of inputs you get a particular set of outputs. A human is supposed to be unpredictable where one group wants to go left there is this guy who always wants to go right. However, I realized that machines can be at some point unpredictable while the humans vice versa. A human will be predictable in that every little situation you bring to him will only flow with your idea if and only if it is of some benefit to them. That brings me to the basis of this topic today, number in is you and your immediate interests and issues if importance. With that being said, I would love to burst the bubbles of certain individuals who seem to rely too much on other people. If you are an adult and probably approaching middle age, you are of three different levels of life : accomplis

She ain't going nowhere.....

Loneliness has always been a a friend of mine, way back when my thoughts were my own and very few people knew of my very existence.  Today the loneliness is back and it's back with a vengeance. "So what you upto tonight?" Asked John knocking me out of my deep thoughts. "Nothing much , got some writing to do and the words are at my finger tips and I don't want to lose them." I replied. John has always wanted the best for me, sort of like the big brother I never had. He opened up his doors to me this time when Mary threw me out for the first time. Who is Mary you ask. Where to start about Mary, well she was my first love and the first person who knew me behind the curtain I raised for most people. What did I do to get kicked out...  "STOP DAYDREAMING DUDE!!!" John screamed while shaking me. I hadn't noticed I had just wondered off. "Okay Bro,  since you are determined to stray my thoughts what do you have in mind?" I said hoping he

Why do I do what I do

One of my favorite thought provoking songs is Tracy chapman's "fast car". Those who haven't heard it should go ahead and listen to it, a line in the song states "Leave tonight or live and die this way". It's a hot Monday morning and you are at your desk at work listening to another boring customer who for one reason or the other believes they can get you to do what they want even if it's contrary to all laws or norms. You day dream a bit of where you would rather be at that point in time. Maybe you like mountain climbing and at that very moment you are in the Himalayas with a bunch of Sherpas or you are an avid swimmer crossing the English Channel. You could be anywhere right now but that doesn't seem possible right now on your desk, does it? Why doesn't it seem possible? Well I guess it could be the mortgage you have on your house that needs paying, the car loan that for some reason doesn't seem to go anywhere coz you are upgrading cars