Skip to main content

Let your art be reflection of self and you will feel whole but hungry

There is something that is borderline exhibitionism about making my private thoughts public.Similar to someone streaking across a football people with thousands of people watching. I don't know if its just wanting to get my thoughts out there and stimulate more people into asking questions or it could be that I just need to scream to the masses and not feel like im trapped in my little cocoon.
All these factors aside I feel that I am amongst greats, who do i speak of? Well I feel that everyone's chosen art form really reflects the person and a lot of the peoples thoughts are well represented in their finished work. Well it should be obvious since we are unique human beings and although coincidences do happen one persons finished product should be unique to another. This can be done when you are told to paint something after only seeing it after 5 minutes. Even the most talented painters would probably portray their own unique perspective of what they have seen.
Music is one of the things I have realized that is thoroughly commercialized. By commercialized I mean that artists are instructed or have to produce a specific sound that is used to make money. Case in point, house music. It has become a very lucrative genre but it adds no value in terms of knowledge or emotions. It is basically a repetitive beat that to me can be used as a supplement to drugs. Today's music is so commercially driven that true artists cant compete with the big corporate backed musicians who constantly just use old samples to churn out noise and package it as music. I don't know if you have watched this movie starring Taye diggs called 'Brown sugar' that talks about two people brought together by the love of hip hop and eventually each other. Taye diggs was a music producer for a big record label who after being forced to sign a talentless pair of rappers and produce their album just decides to quit. He meets a cab driver who happens to be a big underground rapper (Mos def) who happens to be very talented and decides to start his own label. His wife leaves him and he eventually succeeds and falls in love with his best friend from childhood who has shared his love for hip hop. One line in that movie stands out for me, his boss told him this when we tried to advocate against an idea to make a shitty song."Here we keep it profitable, you want artistic integrity you go to ruckus". Rawkus records being the real life record company that jump started the careers of  Mos def, Talib Kweli among other greats.With all the talent in rawkus records we probably cant say much about their earnings however they have made some great and inspiring music. I do not blame the music producers and label executives for following the money but artistic integrity in this day and age doesn't pay the bills.

Let your art be reflection of self and you will feel whole but hungry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She killed him.........................

A man’s primary purpose in life is to provide, both for the present and the future. Often, nothing he possesses naturally is seen as inherently valuable. For a woman, however, the opposite is true, as she is born with much of what is deemed valuable for the species. It's a rather bleak topic to discuss, yet it reflects a truth we have come to understand. Recently, I buried a great man who did everything right, though it wasn’t enough to earn him the long life he so deserved. Born and raised in poverty, he was on his way to becoming the best in his field, until he met someone he couldn't resist. As a child, he encountered a beautiful girl whom he believed could walk on water. Their young love blossomed in the dusty, rural farmlands of western Kenya, only for life’s circumstances to separate them for nearly two decades. During their time apart, he built a foundation that his peers from the village could only dream of. From barefoot maize harvests in the village to excelling at a ...

IT ALMOST DIDNT HAPPEN

The Pachelbel Canon in D Major, the universal sound used at a wedding when a bride to be is walking down the aisle. I know this, because the organist is about to play that right now. This is my wedding, not a practice run and not a dream but my actual wedding. Got the church , the honored guests and my grooms men. My best friend behind me, my little brother behind him and my cousin rounding up the list. All dressed in white as per the bride's instructions and all looking nervous and somewhat unhappy since I don't want to show my true expression and end up looking sheepish on the wedding video. The theme for the wedding is white and gold, not black and blue for those not genetically gifted(Sorry a social media joke that I hope someone gets). The gold was my choice while the white was hers, shocking that I had a say in the wedding but contrary to popular belief about men arranging weddings the colors are holding together. Flowers on the aisles showing white roses with gold bow...

Do you hear the sounds or do you just choose not to listen....

I watched a documentary some time ago by a member of the Johnson and Johnson family called "Born Rich", if you are fascinated by how the top 1% lives then you should definitely check it out. Coming from wealthy family, Jamie Johnson , wanted to understand how wealth affects the children of the billionaires and millionaires of today. He interviewed his fellow wealthy friends and other ordinary people to get a feel of it all. I won't regal you with the details but the common theme that I personally gleaned from the whole documentary is that rich people do not like talking about their money. The group of wealthy individuals who have passed down their wealth from one generation to the next especially do not like discussing money seem overly offended when the subject is brought up.  So what does that have to do with daily life, well the top 1% exist everywhere and a better way to explain those stats is comparison of wealthy people. It's a simple truth that the United State...