Skip to main content

To all politicians...comfortable poverty is all they want

I'd like first to start by saying that I have not studied political science or any other humanity that would give me the required credentials to lecture anyone on this subject. I am, however, a human being who has lived among people both rich and poor and thus the opinions I have here are purely due to observation and a love for change.

A day in the life of one with very little usually means a day of hard labor and disappointment. For those with great perseverance then have the upper hand but for those who do not have strong backs, quick minds or even the spirit to wake up in the morning then it is hell on earth. They say that there are only 24 hours in a day and this is no different between the rich and the poor. They however do not factor in how many man hours the rich can buy and the rate in which they are buying it at. That should be the actual difference between the two categories of people. No one and I mean absolutely no one is free from selling their time, the president sells it to the country, the CEO to the shareholder, even the heir/heiress sells his/her time and effort for a particular reason. In the case of the heiress they may be actually giving people money to actually spend their time since they have too much of it.
So now that you know your time is sold to others, have you ever asked yourself how much you are worth? Take your gross salary and divide it by the payment period, if you do the same to the amount of tax you pay then you will know how much your are worth to the government. You have a figure in your mind right now. Now you know how much your time and energy is worth to the taxman and your employer.
How about we go back to those whose time is not as valuable. Poverty is seen as living on less than a dollar a day, in Kenyan money according to the exchange rate that should be about 83 shillings a day. For most of those who live on this level , it is not a choice but do so as per their earnings. No time for savings, investing or any other income generating activity ,it is literally from hand to mouth.
If you sit down with people who have been in poverty for such a long time then you get to learn a few things. Most of them have lost hope of the good life, they have come to the big city with dreams of wealth and abundance but have decided to stick to the branches that they can reach and that's just to live life one day at a time. No thinking about tomorrows problems, God shall provide. These people when faced with the question "what would you like most?" would probably say " To be able provide for my family ". The ability to provide for your family with the bare primary and secondary needs is what I would classify as comfortable poverty. Food ,shelter and clothing may be taken for granted in the circles that I move in but for some they have to chose which is more important. I once watched a local news clip that showed a pair of homeless people who had had a child and fed themselves with dirt. That may have not trended on twitter or someone didn't share it on your news feed so some may not know this.
Giving those primary and secondary needs would mean that the family is able to live a more wholesome life, the family members are able to play their roles without worry or fear of tomorrow. A father toils and is able to provide everything his family needs. A wife keeps the home clean and what people would call more homely so that the children in turn can grow physically, emotionally, psychology and intellectually to be upstanding members of society.
With those roles clearly defined I say again, that is what the family units want to live out. Sad for you rich people we live in a time where the average person has access to information at the touch of a button, why is this bad for you you ask? Well  a slogan I like to use is "Ignorance is kind and knowledge is power" so what the people don't know wont hurt them so if you spend only half your work day actually working and the rest of the time splashing your images of opulence and drunken debauchery on the screen then the people whose sweat you are riding on may get offended and restless.

I conclude by saying, cut down on the greed as a class of human beings and you may not have people trying to kill you everyday. They will be too busy actually living to bother with you rather than existing as they are now.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always looking out for number 1

I just got a new job that is sales in nature , my previous job was an I.T. position which gave me a chance to compare the differences between humans and machines. A machine is supposed to be predictable ,with a particular set of inputs you get a particular set of outputs. A human is supposed to be unpredictable where one group wants to go left there is this guy who always wants to go right. However, I realized that machines can be at some point unpredictable while the humans vice versa. A human will be predictable in that every little situation you bring to him will only flow with your idea if and only if it is of some benefit to them. That brings me to the basis of this topic today, number in is you and your immediate interests and issues if importance. With that being said, I would love to burst the bubbles of certain individuals who seem to rely too much on other people. If you are an adult and probably approaching middle age, you are of three different levels of life : accomplis

She ain't going nowhere.....

Loneliness has always been a a friend of mine, way back when my thoughts were my own and very few people knew of my very existence.  Today the loneliness is back and it's back with a vengeance. "So what you upto tonight?" Asked John knocking me out of my deep thoughts. "Nothing much , got some writing to do and the words are at my finger tips and I don't want to lose them." I replied. John has always wanted the best for me, sort of like the big brother I never had. He opened up his doors to me this time when Mary threw me out for the first time. Who is Mary you ask. Where to start about Mary, well she was my first love and the first person who knew me behind the curtain I raised for most people. What did I do to get kicked out...  "STOP DAYDREAMING DUDE!!!" John screamed while shaking me. I hadn't noticed I had just wondered off. "Okay Bro,  since you are determined to stray my thoughts what do you have in mind?" I said hoping he

Why do I do what I do

One of my favorite thought provoking songs is Tracy chapman's "fast car". Those who haven't heard it should go ahead and listen to it, a line in the song states "Leave tonight or live and die this way". It's a hot Monday morning and you are at your desk at work listening to another boring customer who for one reason or the other believes they can get you to do what they want even if it's contrary to all laws or norms. You day dream a bit of where you would rather be at that point in time. Maybe you like mountain climbing and at that very moment you are in the Himalayas with a bunch of Sherpas or you are an avid swimmer crossing the English Channel. You could be anywhere right now but that doesn't seem possible right now on your desk, does it? Why doesn't it seem possible? Well I guess it could be the mortgage you have on your house that needs paying, the car loan that for some reason doesn't seem to go anywhere coz you are upgrading cars